Modules for Associations
For associations, the appropriate KLAS modules depend greatly on the type of services that are being delivered to your members.
For organizations that do not have staff members providing library services, then simplified management and administrative controls is needed. The organization still maintains control over the content, but doesn't need the full power of the KLAS staff-side functions.
This is typically the case when at the following hold true:
- There are no physical materials (books, magazines, equipment, etc) being tracked
- The amount of data for each title is to be relatively simple -- typically things like Title, Author, Publication Date, Subjects, Description
- Subject cataloging scheme is relatively simple
- There is no need to integrate with membership data in an AMS (association membership system)
- Simplified utilization reporting is adequate
If additional capabilities are needed, individual full modules can be purchased to increase the capabilities of the 'lite' version of KLAS supplied as an online knowledge center.
For organizations that have staff members providing library services, then the full KLAS modules provide staff-side access to maintain, categorize, and organize the information on your collection, your members, and the services that they should receive.
This is typically the case when at least one of the following apply:
- Staff are organizing bibliographic records with substantial metadata --typically including a detailed subject cataloging scheme
- More complex access points (data to be indexed and searched upon) are needed
- Management of both physical and digital materials is needed
- Materials are being loaned out, and expected back
- Complete user/member/patron interest profiles need to be maintained
- User/Member/Patron data should be integrated with another system, such as an AMS (association membership system)
- Management of magazine and other serial subscriptions is needed
List of KLAS modules for Associations:
Patron Services Module
- Manage member Information
- Track identification and demographic information
- Manage member’s address information
- Keep track of member’s preferred contact method
- Access to Member Info for all staff at all computer stations
- Record can be updated from any location in the network
- Reporting functions
- Helps manage workflow
- Can check service status info for patrons
- Customize book selection searches according to member’s preferences so books can be automatically selected by KLAS or selected by library staff
- Keeps track of what media member wishes to receive and how
- Can set exclusions on unwanted subjects, authors, narrators, etc.
- Block automatic selections
- If dictated by library policy, keeps a history of everything a member has received so a member does not receive a materials more than once
- Manage Member’s Requests/Reserves
- Maintain relationships between members
- Manage circulation of materials (check-in/check-out, reserves, recalls, renewals)
- Supports different workflows
- Partial shipment of multi-volume materials
- Specify policies of automatic nightly routines to select materils for members
- Interactive Check-in function
Front Desk Module
- Walk-in services
- Check-in, check-out
- Pay fees/fines
- Change member address
- Search for books
- Check status of Member’s Items
- Maintain Member’s Request List
Catalogue / Holdings Module
- Maintain and Manage Titles and their inventory
- Maintain Holdings Records
- Batch Update function allows update of a group of holdings records at one time
- MARC record download/import
- Modifiy MARC records
- Series Maintenance
- Authority File features
- Digital File Tracking
- Title-Bib tab allows for non-MARC cataloguing of records but is mapped back into the title’s MARC record
- Track information for each item associated with a title (such as barcode, circulation status, and due date)
- Allows braches to maintain separate inventory, statistics, membership records, and run reports for their location
- The Branch module allows each different location to maintain separate inventory and statistics.
- It also tracks the collection as it shifts between locations and/or the main library.
- Each location can generate their own reports and create and maintain their own patron records.
Serials Control Module
- Manage Serials Operations
- Automatic Assignment of Next issue
- Assign Old Issues
- Generate Mail Cards
- Migrate Subscribers
- Purge Issues
- Update and maintain both requisitions and purchase orders
- Maintains information on the general purchase: who is the vendor, where are the items being shipped and where should the bill go
- The Receive screen allows you to indicate the receipt of. You can also add materials to your collection from this screen
- The Purchase Requests screen allows the library to include a review step in the purchasing process.
- The Vendors screen allows you to maintain information about the companies you order materials from.
- Accounts screen to add, update and maintain the accounts used to pay for materials ordered.
WebOPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
- Allows public to conduct catalogue searches remotely
- Allows members to self serve
- Organizations choose how their OPAC looks and what services are available
- Used by individuals who use AT daily
- Browse the catalogue and perform simple and advanced searches.
- Save search results to the desktop or print to an available printer.
- Choose the way information is displayed allowing you to get more information on a title or copy.
- Check the availability of a copy.
- Real-time link to the database.
- Request materials.
- View and / or update member account.
- Useable with any standard web browser.
Electronic Document Delivery (EDocs)
- Catalogue and Link Electronic Docs to their Title Records
- Set whether electronic docs are publicly accessible or restricted
- Allow catalogued electronic references to be viewable in OPAC for download
- Control system security
- Manage user permissions
- Customize how KLAS behaves with the use of Code Files, Control Files and Cross-Reference settings.
- Run data exports for use with Crystal Reports.
- Your System Administrator(s) have access to the Administration Menu which provides access to a number of powerful systems management tools in KLAS. The Reports Menu offers three standard system reports, five standard WebOPAC reports, and the Extracts for Crystal Reports utility. Authorized users who do not have prior automation experience can perform most of these functions.
- The numerous code tables, cross reference files, and control tables allow you to customize how KLAS behaves in your organization. These features offer you the operational versatility to adjust procedures or methodologies as your needs change.
- The Administration menu provides access to the control settings which tailor KLAS to the requirements of your operations – Block Maintenance, Code Maintenance, Control Maintenance, Cross Ref Maintenance, Filter Maintenance, Heading Maintenance, Library Maintenance, Sequence Maintenance, Shelf Maintenance, Period Maintenance, and Stopwords Maintenance. Policy settings such as Check-in Policy Maintenance and Circulation Policy Maintenance are accessed from here as are automatic process settings for Nightly Configuration and Batch Manager. System security and user permissions controls also open from this menu.